Acting for Dancers Masterclass (Tweens & Teens)
Dive into the correlation between expression and movement and how they come together on stage! Our Tweens & Teens will explore the components and complexities of genuine friendships, enemies, magical characters, and moments of mayhem . They will study characters and how to portray them!
Time & Location
Jun 21, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM
Ballet Theatre San Luis Obispo, 3566 S Higuera St #207, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401, USA
About the Event
Ballet Theatre San Luis Obispo is thrilled to offer the 2023 Summer Dance Workshop series!
About this Class:
In this class, we will dive into the correlation between expression and movement and how they come together in ballet. Our Tweens & Teens will explore the components and complexities of genuine friendships, enemies, magical characters, and moments of mayhem. They'll study characters and how to portray them through physicality and facial expressions.
The facial and physical expressions dancers demonstrate on stage are key to storytelling! Throughout this summer series, students will learn and practice how angles, speed, transitions, and the 6 fundamental facial and whole-body expressions/emotions. Jason will teach how they all come together to help a performer and the audience understand a character, give them emotional recognition, and convey specific emotions. This is a unique masterclass you will not want to miss!
This class is an exclusive BT-SLO Summer Dance Workshop only! Take one or all three offered for your age group to uplevel this important skill for the show season.
Age/Level: Kids ages 10 - 14yrs. No acting experience is necessary.
About your Teacher - Jason Sumabat:
Jason Sumabat is a man of many talents! As a specialist in movement in theater, he has taught all across the US as a Master Teacher in the Arts. As the Director of the 21-year-old nonprofit, The Central Coast Follies, Jason has helped raised over $350.000.00 dollars through musical theater dance, singing, and acting. He is also a 26-year veteran weapons/movement choreographer for the Central Coast Shakespeare Festival. Jason has directed/choreographed countless shows including the most recent choreographed "Suessical Jr." with Central Coast Youth Theater. Throughout his career, Jason has helped develop the performing arts community throughout the county. He aims to bring life and expression to the stage through his personal motto that dance education and art is "EMOTION IN MOTION!"
Price per Class: $20
Dates Offered: Please RSVP for each class separately
- Weds, June 21 from 2 - 3:30pm
- July's session will occur during Tween & Teen Camp (learn more about the camp here: https://www.bt-slo.org/tweenteendancecamp)
- Weds, August 23 from 2 - 3:30pm
- What to wear: Comfortable clothes that allow free range of motion (ballet clothes not required) and socks or dance flats
- Don't wait! RSVP for the classes you are interested in so we can reserve our teachers! (See logistics below)
- Students new to BT-SLO need to arrive 10mins early to sign a waiver. See below for payment info.
- Don't wait! RSVP for the classes you are interested in so we can reserve our teachers!
- We require a minimum of 5 students per class registered at least 3 days before the class date. Otherwise, the class will be canceled (boo!), the students will be notified, and those who registered will not be charged.
- Payment - BT-SLO Students: Students will be charged to their Studio Director account after their class.
- Payment - Drop-in Students: We will send you an option to sign up for a Studio Director account (our studio system) for easy payment. Alternatively, you can pay via Venmo, or check upon arrival. Please arrive 10mins early to sign a waiver and complete payment.
- Info on our studio, parking, and facilities can be found here